Over the years Simon has gotten me hooked on watching documentaries. Now we both really enjoy watching a lot of documentaries because they're more educational and tend to be a little shorter than regular movies which is easier for us to finish in one night. We've watched various health and food videos such as "Super Size Me" and "King Corn." A couple of weeks ago, however, we watched "Food Inc." which has forever changed my feeling on food. We've now been trying our best to go organic as much as possible. Movies, documentaries, books don't typically affect me in such a way that I dramatically change the way I currently do something, but "Food Inc." definitely did this for me and it affected my view on what I now feed to my family.I have always been interested in organic foods and in the back of my head have thought about the fact that they're probably healthier for me, but haven't liked dishing out the money for pricey organics and instead just keep my eye out for items that go on sale. The main difference now is that after watching "Food Inc." I clearly understand "how" and "why" organic food is far better for me and my family.
Over the years, and before watching "Food Inc.," I discovered that I definitely prefer the taste of organic chicken over non-organic and then randomly we've happened upon items that have been organic that we end up buying on a regular basis simply because we enjoy the taste better. But, now, after being disgusted after watching "Food Inc.," we're trying our best to buy all organic foods.
We're not going crazy about "only" buying organic foods, but we're just trying our best to buy organic meats, milk, eggs, produce and other random items. We still eat out at our favorite restaurants and don't worry about eating only organic food for all our meals, but again we're just making a conscious effort to make better choices at the grocery store. It's been interesting and fun because we've happened upon little markets in our neighborhood, while looking for different organic stores, that we may not have otherwise discovered. I've also loved discovering the awesome taste of some organic foods that I have never tried before, like organic bananas, carrots and apples which are all just amazing and almost all meats taste far superior. We're still struggling to find the best milk, but over all we're really enjoying the change.
If you've ever wondered about where the food you eat really comes from and what organic truly means, then I highly suggest renting "Food Inc.," but do so with caution and be prepared to feel a little disturbed at the end.
Happy Healthy Eating!!!.JPG)
On another healthy note... we made sure to get out and enjoy some healthy, fresh air while playing in all the beautiful snow that dumped on us this weekend..JPG)
Thank goodness for all those parents who tote their kids back up to the top of the sledding hill. Too bad we had the slowest sled of all the kids. Ava kept saying she wanted to go get the sleds that we have up at Grampy and Sharona's house because they're much faster. Looks like we know what our next purchase will be.
Dylan went down the sledding hill with Ava, but the first time they crashed he no longer wanted to sled on the actual sled, but rather he was content to just scoot down the hill slowly on his bottom.


4 comments:
I love that picture of Dylan! It is adorable. He looks like he is going to do something mischievious though, too. Sledding looks fun, too. It snowed here last night and is still snowing. Going organic is a lifestyle change. We belong to a co-op and we have found that the biggest change in produce is organic avocados for making guacamole (which we eat at least once a week). THEY ARE SO MUCH YUMMIER!
The guy from Food, Inc. was on Oprah the other week and it was so interesting. Really makes you think about food, huh. I like the phrase...if your great grandma doesn't recognize it as food, it probably isn't! Have a great week!
Interesting Kel! I'll have to watch that!!! Looks like you had fun sledding with the kiddoes--that is what we are doing today! Have a good week!
Plenty of good in organic. However, I have seen some decent counterarguments for not going "whole hog" on the concept. One random show was on Penn and Teller's HBO Bullshit program were they debunked a lot of organic myths. Basically, it made sense for somethings and not others.
Post a Comment